Friday, July 18, 2014

Friday Favorite- What Inspires You?


Warning – this is a long, picture-less post!


What inspires you?? What sets your passion in go mode? What makes your dreams come to life? How do you overcome roadblocks?

Can we be real on this edition of Friday Favorites? Hear my heart on this - I struggle! I struggle with balancing mommy time, me time, work time, cleaning time, wife time, Bible time, friend time, etc. You name the time and it somehow, someway gets added to the list all the while no extra “time” gets added to the day. I need a heart check most days to keep my chin up, not let the day drag me down and to remember I have hope and joy that supersedes all of the things that I can’t possibly and productively fit into 1 day!
How do you do it? What is your favorite organizational tip that you can’t live without? What gets you out of a funk? What snaps you back into realizing the life you are living is the good life?
I saw this quote on the Facebook page of Casting Crowns, it quickly snapped me into realizing that God was speaking directly to me:


There is so much truth in this statement. We live in a society that is constantly vetting us up against our neighbors, our friends, our siblings, etc. Constantly making us reevaluate our beliefs and attempt to stretch them in places that conform to “mainstream”. When people say missions trip, we automatically think poverty stricken - 3rd world country. I, wholeheartedly believe in missions trips. I believe that we are called to bring His word, His truth, HIS LOVE to the nations. But I also believe that we should stop, settle down the busyness of our lives and grow and reach those that are right around us. Allow our lives, our homes, our spiritual walks to be watered. To sprout. To touch the lives of the individuals we see on a daily basis. This is where I fail the most. True story. I can be so focused on the big picture that I forget to water and help sow seed into the very place where God has planted me.

Here are some other things that inspire me to take a hold of the now, to embrace where I’m at and to stop and look around:
Songs. They can literally drop me to my knees, take my breath away, create a puddle of tears in an instant and an overwhelming joy that makes me so thankful! If you aren’t following these artists, you totally should start. Some of their songs have helped to propel me forward and made certain that I didn’t look back.
Francesca Battestelli – check out this song from her new album,                          
  

The title of the album speaks to me! Honesty. Do you seek to be honest in your day to day living? Truth – what is the source to truth in your life?

Other musicians that are on repeat on my playlist are: MercyMe, Needtobreath, David Crowder, Bethel Live, All Sons & Daughters, Casting Crowns, City Harbor.

Organized Planner. Yep. A super organized planner can clear my head and even when it is filled to the brim with kids activities, sessions, work meetings, workout dates, dinner dates – if it is all written down and I have a plan for the week ahead, I can do it! Failing to plan ahead of time is my ultimate downfall!

Books. When I have spare time (which is almost never these days!), I can get lost in a book! The book has the power to transform my life, my words, my actions, and my daily steps. And when I get a book that I can’t put down, I know it is God’s little gift to me.
I read Francis Chan’s book, Forgotten God and in chapter 6 I could only read 1 paragraph at a time. I had to put the book down, digest what the paragraph was offering and evaluate how I was or wasn’t applying it to my life. It might be time to revisit this book!

Running. I’m an addict. A good run while listening to a good sermon or just the right Pandora station can really put life back on the right track for me! Hearing my feet hit the pavement, knowing that no matter how I feel while I am running – I will feel victorious when I’m done!

Recognizing the voice of truth. I know that the only voice the enemy has in my life is the voice that I give him. It’s a choice each day to listen to and follow the voice of my savior. Sometimes I simply fail. I look at a magazine cover and fall short of looking like the cover model. I peruse Facebook for too long and stumble on a photographer’s page that is doing it better than we are. I pull up to preschool drop off, happy to have my children there on time and in the midst of my workout clothes I am flooded by the high boot, J.Crew wearing moms and matching kids. These are the voices that I have ZERO time for in my life. I have no time for comparison and quite frankly, I have no room for it either. My plate is full as are many of yours. It’s time ladies to put our inspiration in front of us, to put the voices that bring us life and joy at the forefront of our days, and to surround ourselves with positive people! Be a person that others want to be around. Bloom right where God has planted you!

By: Jaime Pollock

No comments:

Post a Comment